3rd Century – Roman building present at Cold Knap
1097 – Welsh Chronicles name Barry Island as a raiders base
12th Century – The social structure of Barry begins
13th Century – Barry Castle is built and the village of Cymcidi is noted to have existed. In English Cymcidi means Valley of the Black Dog.
14th Century – The Black Death arrives from visiting ships, and Robert Andrew is the Lord of Cadoxton. Leyland also notes that Barry Castle is in ruins, and Master S. John is the Lord of the Castle
16th Century – Barry Island is granted to the Earl of Pembroke. Castle Farm is built. The Manor of Barry is held by the Seys Family of Boverton. In 1666, Barry Island is sold to Colonel Phillip Jones of Fonmon.
18th Century – Cross channel trade in livestock is happening between Barry, Bristol, Bridgewater and Minehead. In 1712, a French ship ran ashore in Sully. The ship was carrying brandy and wine. Armed locals try to seize the goods from customs officials. Robert Jones of Fonmon acquires Barry Manor through marriage.
1810 -The Romilly family acquire Barry Manor.
1813 – A ship named Fany is wrecked off the coast of Barry. She was built in Aberthaw, and previously sailed the Bristol Channel for a hundred and twenty years.
1818 – David Davies is born in Llandidnam
1840 – The Saw Mill is built in Porthkerry
1844 – Tithes to the church are commuted into rent
1847 – Population breakdown:
Cadoxton: one hundred and nineteen males /one hundred and twenty three females
Barry: fifty three males / fifty one females
Merthyr Dyfan: sixty three males/sixty seven females
Highlight: twelve males /nine females
1847 – Cadoxton School opens
1858 – Marine Hotel built on Friars Point. It is later renamed Friars Point House. Treharne Pier is also built
1866 – Barque Bonanza is wrecked off the west side of Barry Island. Nine sailors drown but three survive.
1869 – S.S Golden Fleece flounders between Barry and Sully. One crew member is reported missing.
1879 – The value of Cadoxton stands at £1, 302.00
1880 – Sloop Unity flounders just off Sully island after a collision with a steam tug boat. The crew of two were saved by the tug.
1881 – The population of Barry stood at eighty one with approximately seventeen dwellings. There were three hundred and three people living in Cadoxton and the majority spoke Welsh.
1883 – April: The first meeting of the committee at the House of Commons to consider the Barry Docks and Railway Bill.
May: Preamble of the Barry Docks and Railway Bill is approved
July – House of Lords throws out the Bill
November – Parliamentary notice appears for new Barry Dock Bill. Colliery owners, shippers and others undertake to pay all expenses for the Barry Bill.
1884 – The Barry Dock Bill went before Parliament and Royal Assent was granted in the House of Lords
October – JC Meggitt announces in the Cardiff newspapers, his intentions to begin trading in timber, brick and coal at Barry Dock.
November – Construction workers arrive in Barry to start building the docks. The first sod is cut by Lord Windsor. Cadoxton River is still flowed through Barry, ending up at Cold Knap. This is later diverted to exit at the Bendricks.
1886- Barry Police Station was built, and the gas and water companies are incorporated
1887 – The burial board was formed and a tragedy occurs when a landslide happens at Barry Dock Construction. Eleven people are injured and three are killed. Land at Nells Point is purchased from Lord Windsor to house the construction of the Coastal Artillery.
1888- The first passenger train runs from Cardiff to Barry. Barry’s first football team is founded together with the first brass band in Cadoxton.
1889 – The first water was let into the dock. The SS Arno was the first ship to enter the docks. Merthyr Dyfan burial ground was formed. Gas is used for the first time in Barry. Barry Dock & Railways Police are formed.
1890 – Barry Dock Post Office opens. Barry and Cadoxton Waterworks also open. The statue of David Davies is designed. Barry Dock Hotel is built for R.P Culley. In July, David Davies dies. In August, three fire fighting appliances are bought for the police to use. Lloyds Bank opens at Barry Dock.
1891 – Bathing places were built at Whitmore Bay and the local board considered buying Cadoxton Common. Barry Railway Police replaced the existing police. S.S Cleveland runs aground between Barry and Penarth. The crew of ten were all saved. The Princess Theatre was closed. Edward Rees is also appointed the first Police Inspector.
1892 – The library opens. A scheme to divide the district into four wards is approved. Barry Cycling Club is formed. The slaughter house opens on Court Road.
1893 – Barry & Cadoxton Gas and Water Act 1893 received Royal Assent. The S.S Camargo sinks after a collision near Sully Island. All the crew are saved. Barry Dock Amateur Dramatics Society presents its first performance. In March, the statue of David Davies is unveiled outside the Dock Offices.
1894 – The Barry and Cadoxton Local Board is dissolved and the Urban District Council is formed. Gas and water supplies are taken over by the local board. Construction of Dock No 2 begins. The Causeway to Barry Island is constructed.
1895 – The first annual meeting of Barry Urban District Council took place. Mr J.C Meggitt was appointed Chairman. John Storrie carries out excavations at Barry Island. An agreement between Barry and Cardiff is signed for joint running costs of the Cholera Hospital that is built on Flat Holm Island.
1896 – The Romilly Estate donated Romilly Park to the town of Barry. Proposals were heard to make Cadoxton Common a local park. In September, a fire broke out in Llewellyn Street, which cast doubts over police ability to control fires due to insufficient equipment. In December, the Windsor Hotel is the first building in Barry to be fitted with electric lights.
1898 – Lady Windsor Dock is opened along with Dock No 2. The first ship to enter No.2 Dock is the S.S Solent.
1899 – Lord Windsor agreed to lease land around Whitmore Bay to the council. Construction of Nells Point Artillery begins.
1900 – An agreement was made with Barry and District Nursing Association for the Council to take over the Accident Hospital in March. Barry Dock Conservative Club opens.
1901 – A Life boat station is established at Barry Island. The amount of coal shipments from Barry Docks overtake Cardiff
1902 – A bonfire is lit in June on Friars Point to celebrate the Coronation of King Edward VII. The Public Library Scheme was awarded £8,000 towards the building of a library by Mr Andrew Carnegie. A scheme that would divide the district into seven different wards was also approved.
1904 – Barry Railway Company obtains the right to operate paddle steamers in the Bristol Channel. The very first Guide to Barry was published. In July a “special school” opens with sixteen pupils.
1905 – The bathing houses at Whitmore Bay opened and the council took control of the beach. In August, a schools nurse is appointed to treat minor illnesses. However, under the “Defective Children’s Act 1899” mentally ill children were still referred to a local doctor. Barry Railway Passenger Steamer Services start service. The Gwalia and Devonia are the first paddle steamers.
1906 – The new public library was opened by the Earl of Plymouth.
1908 – New public offices on King Square opened.
1909 – Barry Dock Division of Saint Johns Ambulance Brigade opens. The first permanent cinema at Romilly Hall opens: The first film shown here was Sydney Bacon’s – Entertainment.
1910 – Plans were approved for the construction of the sea wall and promenade at Barry Island. The hospital constructed at the Colcot was converted for the treatment of infectious diseases.
1912 – Castle Farm is destroyed by fire
1913 – The fire brigade was formed. Glamorgan College of Education is formed. There is also a record coal and coke output at Barry Docks -eleven point four million tonnes
1914 – Whitmoor Bay was closed on orders of the military. Cadoxton Picture Palace opens. In August, Britain declares war on Germany and a few weeks later fifty German seamen are taken prisoner and remanded to the local police station. In October work begins on Buttrills Army Camp.
1916 – Girl Guides are formed in Barry. Three thousand eight hundred and thirty six ships enter Barry Docks.
1918 – U.S. troops land at Barry during the Great War. There are now forty one coal hoists in use at the docks.
1919 – The National Eisteddfodd Proclamation is held at Romilly Park and a war memorial fund is started
1920 – The Romilly family sells land at the Parade Gardens to the local board. The number of burials at Merthyr Dyfan cemetery now stands at ten thousand nine hundred and eleven. The rateable value for the whole of Barry is £279, 237. The Eisteddfodd of Wales is held at Romilly Park.
1921. The land for the Parade Gardens is purchased from the Romilly Family.
1922 – Great Western Railways takes over Barry Docks under the Railways Act 1921. Work commences on the building of the sea wall at Whitmore Bay.
1923 – A scheme to develop the land at Cold Knap is approved.
1924 – In Whitmore Bay, shops and shelters open. South Wales Electrical Distribution Company lays cables for the towns electrical supply. The White Brothers build the fairground at Barry Island.
1925 – The Parade Gardens are completed
1926 – The Knap Lido opens
1927 – The Earl of Plymouth gives Friars Point and other land at Barry Island to the council
1928 – The agreement for the supply of water is signed. Electricity is turned on all over the district. Bindles opens at Cold Knap.
1929 – The council obtains Porthkerry Park. Barry Trade and Commerce also gift £1000 to Barry Accident and Surgical Hospital to purchase X-Ray equipment.
1930 – The Cenotaph is unveiled by the Earl of Plymouth. Pat Collins takes over the fairground at Barry Island.
1931 – The council obtain more land at Nells Point from the Earl of Plymouth
1932 – Barry Memorial Hall opens
1933 – The Memorial Hall, Cenotaph and grounds are given to the council. In the foyer of the Memorial Hall, are the names of the six hundred and twenty five Barry men who died in the Great War. Great Western Railway celebrate fifty years of Barry Docks by holding a special dinner for three hundred members of Barry Railway Company.
1934 – District boundaries are expanded and now include the parishes of Penmark and Porthkerry. In August 1934, over four hundred thousand people visited Barry Island over the Bank Holiday weekend.
1935 – Barry is established as a Head Post Office area
1937 – Barry Urban District Council planning scheme is approved
1938 – Fiftieth anniversary of the opening of Barry Docks. King George VI approves the Charter of Incorporation to the town of Barry. Coal exports are over five million tonnes.
1939 – Britain declares war on Germany. In November, the first air raid practice takes place. Barry Fire Brigades ‘Merryweather’ fire engine is replaced with an enclosed appliance.
1940 – In June the first air raid happens. Barry First Aid is on standby.
In August there is an air raid on Barry Docks. Railway stock is damaged and a bomb just misses the coal tip. Forty five windows in the dock offices are broken. Air raid sirens are heard in the evening. Anti Aircraft guns fire and hit a German aircraft causing it to crash into the sea at the Bendricks.
September – Another air raid and bombs drop on Trinity Street and Central areas. Two houses are damaged extensively. Another bomb fell at the rear of High Street.
1941 – The Duchess of Kent inspects the First Aid Post at Barry Island
1942 – The Warship HMS Vanessa sinks a German U boat
1943 – Barry Memorial Hall is partially destroyed by fire. In September, United States 517 Port Battalion is at Hayes Lane Camp.
1944 – The Merryweather fire engine (1913 – 1940) is sold for scrap
1947 – One hundred and eight thousand coal miners are employed in South Wales
1948 – Coal exports at Barry are now over two million tonnes. South Wales Echo reports that Barry Island First Aid Station dealt with two thousand, six hundred and ninety five cases over the summer.
1949 – B.P Chemicals opens at Sully Moors Road.
1954 – Rhoose Airport opens
1957 – The Memorial Hall fire damage in 1943 is finally repaired and the hall reopens. Geest is the only shipping company using Barry Docks. The Belle Usk ran aground in Whitmore Bay.
1959 – Geest industries begin importing bananas on a larger scale through Barry Docks. Steam engine repairs at Barry Docks cease.
1964 – Billy Butlins is successful in negotiations to build a holiday camp at Nells Point
1966 – Butlins opens on Barry Island
1970 – Thirty eight thousand coal miners are employed in South Wales. P & A passenger steamers operations cease.
1974 – Dinosaur footprints are found at the Bendricks
1975 – Shipments of coal from Barry Docks cease
1978 – The new fire station is opened at Port Road. Bindles celebrates its Golden Jubilee.
1982 – The owners of Bindles state that the recession has affected their business. In April, Dennis Bullen and the orchestra play their last song with Bindles closing in May.
1984 – Barry No 1 Dock Centenary Year
1986 – All Saints Primary School is founded. Butlins is closed at Christmas.
1987 – Butlins camp is sold to Majestic Holidays and in May the camp reopens.
1991 – Holton Road is pedestrianised. Permission is renewed for Barry Waterfront Redevelopment into residential, commercial and business use.
1993 – Geest relocates to Southhampton.
1994 – Permission for waterfront development expires
1996 – Huge storms hit the holiday camp and cause a lot of damage. Majestic Holidays announce the camp will be closing.
1997 – Dinam Hall is demolished. In December, a freight train carrying toxic material derails near Cadoxton train station. A thousand residents are evacuated.
1998 – Cadw lists Romilly Park as a place of special interest.
2001 – For the first time in print, the Barry & District newspaper appears without a gothic style masthead.
2005 – The last buildings that belonged to Butlins are demolished.
2007 – A consortium of builders including Persimmon, Taylor Wimpy and Barratt homes enter an agreement with the Association of British Ports and the Welsh Government to build on the waterfront.
2008 – Barry Train Station is refurbished and reopens. The Waterfront Development was agreed and seven hundred and eighty two residential homes are to be built, with retail space for a Morrisons supermarket and other retail space in the park opposite.
2009 – Woolworths close in Holton Road