Notorious Barry Dock

9 February 2021 ·

Vintage police lantern on an old stone wall outside a police station

During the late 1880’s, due to the massive influx of men that arrived to work on the new docks, it was not safe to be out without protection, often in the form of a gun. As men arrived from all over the UK, Barry was also thought to be a good hiding place for criminals and police were frequently in Barry looking for “wanted men”.

Alcohol was the main cause of all the trouble and every Saturday night after the pubs closed, doctors were often called to help sort out the wounds of men injured in drunken brawls. There were many unlicensed premises in Barry that were called Shebeens. A lot of illegal drinking took place in Barry. The Shebeens originally opened in Cadoxton, but by 1892, there were more in Barry Dock. Women were frequently involved in running the shebeens and drinking in them!!

17th January 1896
18th August 1905
Police reports

Running a shebeen came with the risk of being fined upwards from £5 which is worth roughly £646 today.

https://newspapers.library.wales/shebeenraid

The link between the docks and the town centre was Thompson Street. This street was famous among the seamen. This area had traders and residents from all over the world, and was a well known trouble spot. The area was filled with cafes, bars, restaurants and shops, but there were also many side streets and the area was rife with prostitution.

No photo description available.
The Sailors Rest- Thompson Street 1917 – Victorian Barry Experience

There are reports from the time, that state that the prostitutes were “the most ungainly, filthiest and most abandoned type”. The problem seemed to be the property owners who were letting their houses to people who had questionable morals and then converted them into places where illegal drinking and prostitution took place.

** Uncredited report **

“Rowdyism of some kind or another is daily, almost hourly, occurring….it is well known that brothels exist…..under our very eyes without the slightest restraint….men cannot go outdoors at night without being molested and solicited by immoral women living in several of these small streets. About five o clock last Monday afternoon Gueret Street….was suddenly converted into a veritable hell. Every neighbour ran to the door, at least a dozen ruffians and their paramours were engaged in a most ferocious quarrel. Several desperate fights took place and the atmosphere was completely darkened with the foul and debasing language which emanated from the filthy mouths of the gang of blackguards engaged in these disgusting proceedings. To state that in such immoral surroundings as these, shebeens also run riot, is quite unnecessary. This is the hideous state….in which we are obliged to live in these streets, the moral atmosphere of which has lately become a “Modern Babylon”

A big problem in Barry was the crime of Crimping. This involved kidnapping people, and forcing them to work as sailors, by using intimidation and violence. Barry became the first port to regulate and licence the seamen’s boarding houses. Crimping was mainly fazed out by 1895.

Crimping in the news

Other crimes in Barry involved bogus clubs, hotels-de-marl, which was a place where people would meet to drink alcohol and avoid the 1881 Sunday Closing Act. Drunkeness was a huge problem, and there are reports that in 1896, drunken women were taken to Barry Central Police Station in a wheelbarrow.

Not drunk…….

Gueret Street (Belvedere Crescent)

Policemen would not venture onto Gueret Street alone, and this notoriety was noted by the Chief Constable of Glamorgan. Police raids on the illegal shebeens and brothels followed, but were only partly successful. Early in 1895, the alcohol problem was easily coped with, but it was much harder to wipe out the brothels, due to the unscrupulous landlords.

GUERET STREET, FIGHT WITH KNIVES 1893

PC Herbert Evans described an arguement that took place on Gueret Street at around midnight.
James Butler- a sailor -reprimanded Richard Curtin for hitting Julia Sullivan. Butler was stabbed twice in the forehead and once in the back of the head by a man named M’Auliffe. He had been commited for trial at the Assizes.
PC Evans was stopped from arresting M’Auliffe by Richard Curtin; he caught hold of him and told him to leave M’Auliffe alone.
Richard Curtin was fined ten shillings in Barry Police Court for the assault on Julia Sullivan.
M’Auliffe case was heard in the Assizes. He was found guilty.

It was concluded “PERSONS LIKE HIM MUST BE TAUGHT THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES COULD THEY USE A KNIFE WITH IMPUNITY IN THEIR DRUNKEN QUARRELS.”
GUILTY – 14 MONTHS IN PRISON WITH HARD LABOUR”

Judge Collins

Picture from the Evening Express 17th November 1893 

Shebeening and brothels – March 1894

In March 1895, three youths set fire to an empty house in Gueret Street, and it quickly spread, also affecting the adjoining properties. When the fire was eventually put out, the owner of two thirds of the properties affected, offered to evict the rest of the objectionable tenants, repair the houses and let them to respectable working class people.

Fire at Gueret Street, 8th March 1895

By March 1896, thirty five houses, all with working class tenants were offered for sale. The District Council changed the name to Hirwaun Street and the notoriety of the street died with its name.

Tales from the tabloids*****

In category:Notorious Barry Dock
Next Post

The Men And Women Who Built And Shaped Barry

Barry and the surrounding areas were very rural until the building of Barry Docks. The area grew rapidly and many people were involved in the planning, building and development of the area.. Some of the people involved included : John…
Read
Previous Post

Living Conditions

In the later 1880's, mud was a huge problem, particularly during the winter. People reported that the town was dismal and  dreary with a wilderness of mud with no houses apart from the Central Police Station.  A postman also reported…
Read
Random Post

Ship Wreck on Barry Island

In 1926 the S.S. Valsesia came to Barry laden down with Italian coal. There was a strike on at the time to stop mine owners reducing pay and increasing shifts from seven to eight hours. Miners were involved, together with…
Read
Random Post

Education

The Elementary Education Act was passed in 1870, and the first Barry School Board was elected in November 1874. This board was called the Barry United District School Board and the first meeting was held in December in the Wenvoe…
Read
Random Post

Postcards and more.....

Some of the postcards and souvenirs we have collected: Barry Island Postcard - Post Date 16th June 1919"Enjoying myself a treat at Barry, wish you were here. With love"Dock View Road -post date 1903 - " Sorry I cannot come,…
Read
Random Post

Porthkerry Park, Romilly Park and Old Village

Porthkerry Park CwmKiddy was once a parish on its own, but in the fourteenth century as the population had declined, it was combined with Porthkerry. The whole village was joined with Porthkerry Park by the Romilly family in the 1840s.…
Read

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Vale People First | Charity Number: 1124013 | Company Number: 6486521
Help us to fund the continued development of this project by visiting our fundraising page