By 187,1 the population of Barry was roughly one hundred people. There was one village shop, and there was also a local boot maker, Evan Jenkin from Cadoxton.
By 1890 the building of shops was concentrated on three main areas. The West End was High Street and Broad Street. In Cadoxton it was Vere Street and Main Street. There were also the central areas of Barry: Holton Road, Thompson Street and Dock View Road.
The docks being built meant an influx of men and their families coming to Barry. People needed to be able to buy essential supplies, such as food, household items, clothes , furniture and other items. This meant that more shops were needed.
Holton Road & Dock View Road
High Street & Broad Street
These three areas for shopping still exist today in Barry. Holton Road is the main area with further shops in High Street and Cadoxton.