Barry Docks Today

20 March 2021 ยท

As the docks slowly fell silent, and all of the ships and businesses left the area, the docks became derelict. Many of the buildings that had housed the offices and businesses that had once operated from there also became derelict. Plans were made to redevelop the waterfront area and Dock No.1 was the first area that developers looked at. Planning permission was granted for residential and commercial developments. In 2001, Morrison’s supermarket opened, and a retail park was built next to it in 2004. By 2015, the retail park had Pets at Home, Halfords, K.F.C. and Poundstretcher.

Morrisons 2021 – Jo Price

In 2002, new apartments were announced, and by 2011 there were six hundred and eighty six homes, a supermarket, Health Centre and pharmacy and a shopping space. This was followed in 2007, with a project to build a further two thousand homes and commercial properties in the dock areas. This included the new road that leads to Barry Island, a hotel, school, supermarket, parks and new medical centres. A footbridge linking Thompson Street to the Waterfront Medical Centre opened in December 2009.

In 2010, construction began on West Quay Medical Centre. This opened in October 2010. It was built on the site that Barry Railway Companies locomotive works and carriage sheds once occupied. By February 2012, work had begun to clear the way for a new restaurant, (Brewers Fayre) and the Premier Inn which opened in June 2014.

In April 2015, the new ASDA superstore was built. The listed Hydraulic Engine House sited opposite the Premier Inn had further renovations and was converted to ‘The Pumphouse’, which contains a restaurant, gym and a coffee bar.

In August 2020, the latest development at the Waterfront opened – The Goodsheds. This is a mix of restaurants, shops, bars and businesses in a shipping container village.

Hopefully the Waterfront and Dock area will continue to grow and change as time goes by.

Next Post

Barry Dock and Railway Company

The Barry Railway Company was established in 1884 when the docks were being built. The company created a dock and a railway that linked the South Wales Coalfields to Barry Docks. The Barry Railway Company In 1896, a Spur Line…
Read
Previous Post

Dai Woodham

In 1892, Woodham & Sons was founded by Albert Woodham. The business started as a Dock Porterage business, but by the 1930's the Woodham family had started to trade in scrap metal. In 1957, they started to dismantle railway wagons…
Read
Random Post

The Triassic Period

Two hundred and twenty million years ago, in the later part of the Triassic Period, South Wales and the Bendricks was a desert; however, life existed here! Footprints of animals preserved in the sandstone and siltstones make the Bendricks one…
Read
Random Post

Timeline

3rd Century - Roman building present at Cold Knap 1097 - Welsh Chronicles name Barry Island as a raiders base 12th Century - The social structure of Barry begins 13th Century - Barry Castle is built and the village of…
Read
Random Post

Barry Island Ghost

Barry Island is reputed to be haunted by the ghost of a local hero by the name of Benedict y Fiffoddwr aka Benedict the Fighter. Legend tells of the time his ship Tam Lyn was accosted by Spanish pirates, and…
Read
Random Post

In the News

The Barry Dock Newspaper gives us a fascinating insight into the goings on in the town of Barry and the daily lives of the people who lived here. We have loved reading the newspapers and even got to use a…
Read

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Vale People First | Charity Number: 1124013 | Company Number: 6486521
Help us to fund the continued development of this project by visiting our fundraising page