Living Conditions

20 March 2021 ·

In the later 1880’s, mud was a huge problem, particularly during the winter. People reported that the town was dismal and  dreary with a wilderness of mud with no houses apart from the Central Police Station.  A postman also reported that in 1891 Thompson Street was a muddy lake that the tide flowed into.

1890s

The lake was drained and Thompson Street was built.  There was a stream that flowed down what is now Tynewydd Road, and there woodland stretched from Newlands Street to the Central Police Station.

Dock Offices
Cadoxton

In 1898, The Barry and Cadoxton Journal reported that the roads in Cadoxton were also bogged down with mud and water, There was a stream in the centre of Cadoxton  in the summer that turned into a huge lake in the winter months.

In the winter of 1890, the mud on the streets of Holton Road and Cadoxton was more than ankle deep and trade drew to a standstill.  There were reports of people being thrown from their horse drawn carts after becoming stuck in the mud.

As the town grew, more houses and roads were built, drainage systems were put in place and the mud was no longer a problem.

Next Post

Notorious Barry Dock

During the late 1880's, due to the massive influx of men that arrived to work on the new docks, it was not safe to be out without protection, often in the form of a gun. As men arrived from all…
Read
Previous Post

The Black Dog of Cold Knap

South Glamorgan - Paranormal Database Records In February 1997 at around 11pm, it was reported that a person was sitting on the pebbles with their two dogs. They watched another dog, that was black, move silently across the beach about…
Read
Random Post

Timeline

3rd Century - Roman building present at Cold Knap 1097 - Welsh Chronicles name Barry Island as a raiders base 12th Century - The social structure of Barry begins 13th Century - Barry Castle is built and the village of…
Read
Random Post

Fire Service

In the later part of the 1800's, the police were responsible for fire fighting. Shand Mason of London, supplied three sets of fire extinguishing and escape appliances in 1890. They included thirty feet ladders at a cost of ¬£150, and…
Read
Random Post

The Captains Wife

Three cottages once stood on the site where The Captains Wife public house now stands. Formerly a smugglers lair there was once a tunnel that connected the inn to the sea and Sully House opposite. The legend goes that the…
Read
Random Post

Westward Corner Barrow

An even older historical landmark is still present in Barry. This is the Westward Corner Round Barrow. This barrow, or tumulus, can be dated to the Bronze Age C 2300-800AD. This barrow has only had limited excavations, but similar barrows…
Read

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Vale People First | Charity Number: 1124013 | Company Number: 6486521
Help us to fund the continued development of this project by visiting our fundraising page