Police Force

20 March 2021 ·

Training Room at Barry Dock Police Station
Training Room at Barry Dock Police Station Source Glamorgan Archives

The growth of Barry led to an urgent need for emergency services and a Police Force was one of the main needs.

The first policeman was based in a small cottage in Main Street, Cadoxton. In 1886 the County Police Station in Holton Road opened. This was extended in 1892 to include a police court attached to the building.


Barry Dock Police 1890 – Glamorgan Archives

In 1890 a branch station opened in Iddesleigh Street, Cadoxton. This moved to a larger adjoining building in 1892 and it had three constables. It also had two cells that were able to house “prisoners of a desperate or notorious character”

Iddesleigh Street Police Station

In 1909 this station was replaced with a new one at the foot of Weston Hill, and a station at 44 High Street also opened in the 1880s; this was for the West End. High Street station was replaced in 1914 by a new station on Harbour Road.

The Police station on Gladstone Road was built in 1969 and is still in use today.

Barry Police Station

Barry Magistrates Court

Barry Magistrates Court opened on 9th January 1976 on Thompson Street. The court was an incredibly busy place and reports state that magistrates have dealt with around two million cases there.

Opening of Barry Magistrates Court – Glamorgan Archives

However due to cuts the court closed its doors and transferred all cases to Cardiff Magistrates Court in December 2011. The Court has since been demolished and shops and houses have been built on the site.

Further Reading : https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/final-day-barry-magistrates-court-1801228

Next Post


By 187,1 the population of Barry was roughly one hundred people. There was one village shop, and there was also a local boot maker, Evan Jenkin from Cadoxton. The Village Shop early 1900s. - West End By 1890 the building…
Previous Post


The Elementary Education Act was passed in 1870, and the first Barry School Board was elected in November 1874. This board was called the Barry United District School Board and the first meeting was held in December in the Wenvoe…
Random Post

The Ghost of Pencoedtre

In one very unusual tale reported in the Barry Dock News in 1892, a gang of vigilante ghost hunters took it upon themselves to track down a spook which had been sighted in Pencoedtre. “They camped outside what they believed…
Random Post

Postcards and more.....

Some of the postcards and souvenirs we have collected: Barry Island Postcard - Post Date 16th June 1919"Enjoying myself a treat at Barry, wish you were here. With love"Dock View Road -post date 1903 - " Sorry I cannot come,…
Random Post

Cinemas and Theatres

In the 1880's, the theatre was the place to be!! The theatre was the chosen option for public entertainment in the 1880s.  Barry had several built at different times, including the  American Theatre of Variety's. This was followed the Princess…
Random Post


3rd Century - Roman building present at Cold Knap 1097 - Welsh Chronicles name Barry Island as a raiders base 12th Century - The social structure of Barry begins 13th Century - Barry Castle is built and the village of…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Vale People First | Charity Number: 1124013 | Company Number: 6486521
Help us to fund the continued development of this project by visiting our fundraising page