The Theatre Royal and Hippodrome was built as a live theatre and opened in 1907. Sadly in 1909 a fire destroyed the building and a new theatre was built but this was situated across the street on a new site. The theatre featured an orchestral organ manufactured by Messrs Nicholson of Worcester.
In 1918 the famous actress Lillie Langtry appeared at the Theatre Royal.
In 1929 the theatre was converted into a cinema and was given the new name of the Royal Super Cinema. The seating that had been there for the theatre was reconfigured into stalls and a balcony and a cafe was built for people to get refreshments.
With the onset of World War II, the theatre was closed and did not reopen until the end of the war. There were several renovations made, where a false ceiling was added and some of the original decorative items were covered over.
In the 1980s the screen was brought forward and the circle closed off. In the 1990s a second screen was added.
Sadly in 2008 it was announced that the Theatre Royal was closing on 10th April 2008. The final film shown was “The Smallest Show on Earth” starring Peter Sellers.
In 2012 the theatre was demolished and a care home – Goleg Caredig was built on the site.