Barry Lido

27 April 2021 ยท

Barry Lido opened at The Knap on May 1st 1926 and was one of the largest lidos in the United Kingdom at that time. It was a cold water lido and measured around 360 foot long.

The Lido 1920s.
The Lido 1930s – Peoples Collection

There were two banks of chalets either side of the pool in a semi circle shape and these were rented out by families who came to the lido during the summer months.

During the 70s the daily entry fee for the lido was 5p!

The pool was an incredibly popular place to vist but by the 1980s it had begun to fall into decline. The pool closed in 1996 and demolition began in March 2004.

Further reading: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/lidos-vanished-wales-ones-still-15028930

 Demolition

The Lido today

The outline of the lido can still be seen where the paths run alongside the grassed areas. There are brightly coloured bars placed in the areas where the chalets once were. It is incredible to see just how big the area that the lido was in.

In category:Long Gone
Next Post

Barry Cinema (Theatre Royal)

The Theatre Royal and Hippodrome was built as a live theatre and opened in 1907. Sadly in 1909 a fire destroyed the building and a new theatre was built but this was situated across the street on a new site.…
Read
Previous Post

Dan Evans

In 1905 Mr Evans' grandfather turned the ironmongers shop where he had been an apprentice into a department store on Holton Road. The department store sold lots of different items and was a very popular shop. It has been in…
Read
Random Post

Barry Carnival

The history of carnivals being held in Barry can be dated back to the 19th Century. The first carnival to take place in Barry was in 1889 to celebrate the opening of Barry Docks. Streets were decorated and the route…
Read
Random Post

Butlins at Barry Island

The inspiration for a holiday camp on Barry Island came from a holiday memory, where as a child Billy Butlin had been locked out of his B&B all day. He decided to build his last holiday camp at Nells Point.…
Read
Random Post

The Viaduct

The Viaduct at Porthkerry was opened on 1st December 1897. It is a railway viaduct, and was designed and engineered by James and William Szlumper. The Pethick brothers were contracted to build the viaduct in the late 19th century. The…
Read
Random Post

Living Conditions

In the later 1880's, mud was a huge problem, particularly during the winter. People reported that the town was dismal and  dreary with a wilderness of mud with no houses apart from the Central Police Station.  A postman also reported…
Read
Vale People First | Charity Number: 1124013 | Company Number: 6486521
Help us to fund the continued development of this project by visiting our fundraising page