The Barry Dock Newspaper gives us a fascinating insight into the goings on in the town of Barry and the daily lives of the people who lived here. We have loved reading the newspapers and even got to use a microfiche in Barry Library. Some of the newspaper clippings: STACEY SENTENCED. ON A VERDICT OF MAN- SLAUGHTER. THE FATAL FIGHT AT BARRY DOCKS. Henry Stacey (38), a hobbling coaltrimmer, of Sydenham street, Barry Docks, was tried at Glamorgan Assizes this… Read more.
Young People Unearthing their Heritage Project
Posts by Jo
Barry has had its fair share of people that have been born here and gone on to become celebrities or famous for the job that they do. We have enjoyed finding out about some of the people who came from Barry! Grace Mary Williams - 1906-1977 Grace Mary Williams was born on 19th February 1906 in Barry. Grace was a composer and was generally considered to be Wales's most notable female composer. She was also first British woman to score… Read more.
Barry has been the place where several great TV programmes have been filmed. Often when we are out and about we have seen film crews and filing taking place. Exciting! Gavin & Stacey Filmed in Barry and Dinas Powys at several locations – The series follows the romance between Gavin, from Billericay in Essex, and Stacey, from Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, in South Wales. Gavin lives with his parents, Pam and Mick, and spends most of his time with his… Read more.
The Theatre Royal and Hippodrome was built as a live theatre and opened in 1907. Sadly in 1909 a fire destroyed the building and a new theatre was built but this was situated across the street on a new site. The theatre featured an orchestral organ manufactured by Messrs Nicholson of Worcester. Barry Herald 1910 - New Theatre and HippodromeFire at the Theatre 1909 - Victorian Barry ExperienceSeptember 1908 In 1918 the famous actress Lillie Langtry appeared at the Theatre… Read more.
Barry Lido opened at The Knap on May 1st 1926 and was one of the largest lidos in the United Kingdom at that time. It was a cold water lido and measured around 360 foot long. The Lido 1920s. The Lido 1930s - Peoples Collection There were two banks of chalets either side of the pool in a semi circle shape and these were rented out by families who came to the lido during the summer months. During the 70s… Read more.
In 1905 Mr Evans' grandfather turned the ironmongers shop where he had been an apprentice into a department store on Holton Road. The department store sold lots of different items and was a very popular shop. It has been in several different locations on Holton Road Advert - 1910 However due to changing patterns of retail shopping it was decided that shortly after the 100th birthday of the store that it was not viable to keep open and sadly the… Read more.
The history of carnivals being held in Barry can be dated back to the 19th Century. The first carnival to take place in Barry was in 1889 to celebrate the opening of Barry Docks. Streets were decorated and the route to the docks was lined with decorative arches. A firework display was held at Brooks Farm which was just off Court Road and Gladstone Road. This cost £190 and was funded by Messrs Paines & Sons https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4594660 Newspaper clipping -… Read more.
Twin brothers Hugh and George Palmer opened the zoo in 1960. It started off small but rapidly expanded. At one point the zoo housed tigers, elephants, lions, emus, camels, bears, pumas and many more. Advert for Barry ZooAdvert for Barry Zoo - Old Barry In PicturesCaroline and Hugh & George Palmer 70sBears - 1980Caroline the Elephant - 70sElephant HouseLeopardLionLionsPumas Plan of the zoo - 70sSource: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=oldbarryinpictures&set=a.619936391404544 In 1977 George Palmer was arrested for attending a council meeting with one of… Read more.
We had great fun looking at old photos of places in Barry then comparing how they look now!! The Bathing Pool - Barry Island The Bathing Pool Barry Island The Bathing Pool remnants 2020 - you can still see the steps Barry Island Promenade Barry Island - No promenade built yetThe Promenade 2020 - Stacey Traylor Battery Hill - Barry Island Battery Hill early 1900sBattery Hill - 2020 Stacey Traylor Broad Street Broad Street 1899Broad Street 2020 - Stacey Traylor… Read more.
Vale People First members LOVE living in Barry and The Vale of Glamorgan. There is so much for us to do right on our doorstep and we love nothing better than meeting up for chips at Barry Island. Some of our members are very talented photographers. Here we would like to share with you, some of the the beautiful photographs they have taken. Stacey Traylor 2021Stacey Traylor 2021Stacey Traylor 2021Stacey Traylor 2021Stacey Traylor 2021Stacey Traylor 2021Stacey Traylor 2021Stacey Traylor 2021Stacey… Read more.
The village of Uchelolau -(Highlight) was built on the outskirts of the town in the late 12th Century. It was a small village with around six houses, a manor house and a church. The village was completely deserted before the mid 16th Century. This monument is the remains of a church, and is thought to date back to the Medieval Period. The foundations of the church link back to the old village of Highlight. The church is believed to have… Read more.
1622 Barry Manor Map In 1618 a surveyor called Evans Mouse was employed to make a detailed map of the Vale of Glamorgan. Evans Mouse is presumed to be a Welshman and the maps he produced in 1622 are the earliest and best manorial maps to survive in Wales. The maps are drawn in ink and watercolour on parchment and have a scale of about 50cm to a mile and they are incredibly detailed. The Ordnance survey maps began mapping… Read more.
During the 1920’s, the people of Barry decided that they wanted to build a memorial for all the Barry people who had lost their lives fighting for our freedom during the First World War. People thought that it would be fitting to build a hall and a Cenotaph. The people of Barry were behind this idea wholeheartedly and each person donated a penny. The descendants of David Davies also generously donated, and the money raised was enough to build the… Read more.
Barry has many pubs, some of which are still here today! The Ship Hotel appears to be the oldest in Barry but as the docks were being built attracting a huge influx of workers and their families, public houses were in great demand. The Ship Hotel The thatched house is the original Ship Hotel and was built for the Romilly family in 1860. It has also been used as a coroners courtroom. This building was demolished and the Ship Hotel… Read more.
The Viaduct at Porthkerry was opened on 1st December 1897. It is a railway viaduct, and was designed and engineered by James and William Szlumper. The Pethick brothers were contracted to build the viaduct in the late 19th century. The viaduct would link Barry Docks with Bridgend. Building the Viaduct 1890s - Old Barry in Pictures Construction of the viaduct began in 1894, but in August 1896 there were problems. Piers Nine and Ten showed signs of settlement. This was… Read more.
The Barry Railway Company was established in 1884 when the docks were being built. The company created a dock and a railway that linked the South Wales Coalfields to Barry Docks. The Barry Railway Company In 1896, a Spur Line was built on the railway lines to Barry Island. This brought many day trippers to the beaches and cafes and shops soon opened up. P & A Campbell began operating paddleboat cruises from the pier. This was followed by cruises… Read more.
As the docks slowly fell silent, and all of the ships and businesses left the area, the docks became derelict. Many of the buildings that had housed the offices and businesses that had once operated from there also became derelict. Plans were made to redevelop the waterfront area and Dock No.1 was the first area that developers looked at. Planning permission was granted for residential and commercial developments. In 2001, Morrison's supermarket opened, and a retail park was built next… Read more.
In 1892, Woodham & Sons was founded by Albert Woodham. The business started as a Dock Porterage business, but by the 1930's the Woodham family had started to trade in scrap metal. In 1957, they started to dismantle railway wagons as the scheme to modernise the railways was rolled out. Sixteen thousand steam locomotives and six hundred and fifty thousand wagons were to be scrapped. Woodhams began taking these locomotives and wagons as scrap, and they were stored on land… Read more.
The Dock Offices were built between 1897 and 1900. They were designed by the architect Arthur E. Bell in the style of Christopher Wren. The building cost £59,000, and a bronze statue of David Davies stands in front of it today. Alfred Gilbert designed the statue. A copy of this statue stands by the A470 in David Davies home village in Mid Wales. David Davies 2021 - Jo PriceDavid Davies 2021 - Jo PriceThe Dock Offices 2021 - Jo Price… Read more.
There have certainly been plenty of theories in the past regarding possible local links to the most notorious serial killer. There's even a suggestion the killer - who murdered a number of prostitutes in the Whitechapel area of East London in the late 1800s - may have been a former Swansea GP who killed his victims in a crazed attempt to cure infidelity. Did The Ripper cast his deadly shadow over Barry's Thompson St? However, according to one expert, the infamous… Read more.
A Festal Song with music by Dr J Morgan Lloyd and words written by Mr JM Edwards (Welsh) and Major Edgar Jones MA OBE (English). https://youtu.be/VJnmpaOzOtA The Festal Song was written in 1939 by John Morgan Lloyd. It was to celebrate the town of Barry receiving its Royal Charter. The song was meant to be performed publicly, but due to the outbreak of the Second World War it was cancelled. Music and Lyrics - The Glamorgan Archives A Festal Sing… Read more.
World War I World War I, sometimes known as the First World War or Great War, started in Europe and lasted from 28th July 1914 to 11th November 1918. In the early days of WWI, the fort that was built on Nell's Point was armed with Artillerymen. In the first four weeks of the war, over a thousand ships had been stopped by these six inch guns. There are reports that if Ship Captains did not shut the ships engines… Read more.
In one very unusual tale reported in the Barry Dock News in 1892, a gang of vigilante ghost hunters took it upon themselves to track down a spook which had been sighted in Pencoedtre. “They camped outside what they believed to be the haunted house, but instead of catching the spectre, they brutally attacked an innocent woman - and ended up in court for their efforts. “The perpetrators were James Moist and husband and wife Alfred and Rosina Palmer, who… Read more.
Barry Island is reputed to be haunted by the ghost of a local hero by the name of Benedict y Fiffoddwr aka Benedict the Fighter. Legend tells of the time his ship Tam Lyn was accosted by Spanish pirates, and he bravely and single-handedly fought and killed them all, even though they slaughtered every member of his crew. He then sailed his ship back to port alone, and he was hailed a hero. He went on to navigate many more… Read more.
The original Ship hotel looked a lot different to how it looks today. It was built in the Mid Nineteenth Century by the Romilly Family, and was an altogether more rustic building similar to other buildings in the area. It was here that Mrs Jane George, who was married to Mr John George, the son of the landlady Mrs Charlotte George died in a strange and mysterious fire in one of the upstairs rooms. She was found to be completely… Read more.
In the 1880's, the theatre was the place to be!! The theatre was the chosen option for public entertainment in the 1880s. Barry had several built at different times, including the American Theatre of Variety's. This was followed the Princess Theatre and then the Theatre Royal and the Palace of Varieties in Iddesleigh Street. Theatre 1889 Theatre 1891 Theatre's were not allowed to sell alcohol. This was to prevent theatre's from becoming places where immoral behaviour happened. Iddseleigh Street theatre… Read more.
By 187,1 the population of Barry was roughly one hundred people. There was one village shop, and there was also a local boot maker, Evan Jenkin from Cadoxton. The Village Shop early 1900s. - West End By 1890 the building of shops was concentrated on three main areas. The West End was High Street and Broad Street. In Cadoxton it was Vere Street and Main Street. There were also the central areas of Barry: Holton Road, Thompson Street and Dock… Read more.
The growth of Barry led to an urgent need for emergency services and a Police Force was one of the main needs. The first policeman was based in a small cottage in Main Street, Cadoxton. In 1886 the County Police Station in Holton Road opened. This was extended in 1892 to include a police court attached to the building. https://newspapers.library.wales/view/countypolicestation Plans for the Barry Dock Police Station and Court - Glamorgan Archives Barry Dock Police 1890 - Glamorgan Archives In… Read more.
The Elementary Education Act was passed in 1870, and the first Barry School Board was elected in November 1874. This board was called the Barry United District School Board and the first meeting was held in December in the Wenvoe Arms. The board had five members: D. Davies Joseph was the Chairman, D. Griffiths, W. Lowrie, J. Thomas, and R.S Thomas. Mr Oliver Jenkins was appointed Clerk to the Board. The first priority of the Board was to provide a… Read more.
The Barry and Cadoxton Gas and Water Company 1886, provided the gas for street lighting and houses and there was a plentiful supply of fresh water. In August 1890, gas lamps were in use on many of the roads in Cadoxton and Barry. Gas lamps were used for the first time in Barry Dock in November, the same year. Barry & Cadoxton Local Board Gas & Water Act 1893 - Glamorgan Archives The Barry and Cadoxton Waterworks was formed in… Read more.
With the growth of the town, it soon became apparent that a Medical Officer for Barry was desperately needed. There was one appointed on a part time basis, but he already had his own practice and as the town grew, it was obvious that more was needed. The very first Medical Officer appointed was Dr George Neale in July 1888. Dr George Neale The first hospital in Barry was based in High Street. Dr George Neale was the surgeon. In… Read more.
In the later part of the 1800's, the police were responsible for fire fighting. Shand Mason of London, supplied three sets of fire extinguishing and escape appliances in 1890. They included thirty feet ladders at a cost of £150, and they were to be stored in newly built sheds near the police stations. The fire extinguishing and escape appliances were horse drawn, with water being pumped manually. They required fit and strong men to be able to use them. Early… Read more.
Two hundred and twenty million years ago, in the later part of the Triassic Period, South Wales and the Bendricks was a desert; however, life existed here! Footprints of animals preserved in the sandstone and siltstones make the Bendricks one of the best sites in Britain for Triassic Dinosaur prints, and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. The Vale of Glamorgan was an area of rocky limestone hills and despite low annual rainfall, torrential rain caused flash floods. These… Read more.
The name of Barry is thought to have possibly come from Saint Baruc. He was a 6th century saint, who was also a disciple of Saint Cadoc. Saint Baruc was tasked with bringing St Cadoc's reading material with him on a journey from the island of Flat Holm. He forgot and St Cadoc sent him back to retrieve it, but unfortunately, he drowned in the Bristol Channel on the return journey. He was buried on Barry Island in a chapel.… Read more.
Humans have lived in Barry for many centuries. Mesolithic flint tools have been found at Friar’s Point on Barry Island, and Neolithic polished stone axe heads found at nearby St Andrew’s Major. Urns containing cremation ashes found within Bronze Age barrows on Barry Island and Cold Knap Point, suggest that the area continued to be inhabited through to the Iron Age, when a large defended enclosure or hillfort was built at the Bulwarks at Porthkerry. Bronze Age burial mounds have… Read more.
An even older historical landmark is still present in Barry. This is the Westward Corner Round Barrow. This barrow, or tumulus, can be dated to the Bronze Age C 2300-800AD. This barrow has only had limited excavations, but similar barrows in the area have revealed they were used for cremation burials. This barrow is well preserved and is at the far end of Marine Drive. Westward Corner Barrow - 2021- Jo Price Read more.
Flat Holm and Steep Holm islands in the Bristol Channel have names derived from a Scandinavian word for an island in an estuary, suggesting it’s from here the Vikings launched raids in the area during the Dark ages. Following the Norman Conquest, the area was divided into manors with the Barry area split into two large lordships, Penmark and Dinas Powys. Penmark was split into the sub-manors of Fonmon, West Penmark and Barry. Dinas Powys was split into the sub-manors… Read more.
The dovecote that can be seen in Cadoxton is the only remnant that has survived of a medieval manorial complex that was present on the site where the present Cadoxton Court has been built. The complex would have once been home to the lords of Cadoxton. During the medieval period the lands around Cadoxton Court would have looked extremely different and would have been mostly rural. During the late 19th Century quarrying activities would have shaped the steep precipice that… Read more.
Family Motto: Persevere In 1865, King Louis XIV of France declared it illegal to be a Protestant. This led to the Romilly family, who were immigrants featuring heavily in the development of Barry. In 1701, a young Frenchman named Etienne Romilly (1677-1733) was smuggled from France to London. He married another immigrant called Judith de Monsallier. They gave birth to a son Peter Romilly, who became a successful jeweller in London. Sir Samuel Romilly (1757-1818) was the second son of… Read more.
Thomas Lockyear Aged 92 “In 1945, we used to go to Bindles every Saturday night. Because we didn’t have much money, I used to walk from my house in Porthkerry Road to pick up my girlfriend in Tydfil Street. We would dance all night, catch a bus back to Tydfil Street, and then I would walk back home. Then every Sunday we would go to Bindles again for coffee. There were other dance halls, but Bindles was the place we… Read more.
Porthkerry Park CwmKiddy was once a parish on its own, but in the fourteenth century as the population had declined, it was combined with Porthkerry. The whole village was joined with Porthkerry Park by the Romilly family in the 1840s. The park was landscaped and most of the buildings were demolished. The Barry Mill remained in the woodland and in 1812 the estates of Barry and Porthkerry were purchased by Sir Samuel Romilly. Porthkerry Cottage - Glamorgan ArchivesPorthkerry 1899 -… Read more.
Barry Town United AFC can be dated back to 1892. An Association football team named Barry and Cadoxton District was formed. This team played on five different grounds and had various different identities including Barry Unionist Athletic, Barry United Athletic and Barry District. A meeting was held at The Windsor Pub in Holton Road in November 1912, and the people who lived in the town chose to name the team Barry A.F.C. The Jenner family of Wenvoe were willing to… Read more.
Barry and the surrounding areas were very rural until the building of Barry Docks. The area grew rapidly and many people were involved in the planning, building and development of the area.. Some of the people involved included : John Romilly 1802 - 1874 John Romilly who donated many of the towns parks to the people of Barry. This included Romilly Park and Porthkerry Park. Romilly Road is named after him. Sir David Davies David Davies was born in Llandinam… Read more.
During the late 1880's, due to the massive influx of men that arrived to work on the new docks, it was not safe to be out without protection, often in the form of a gun. As men arrived from all over the UK, Barry was also thought to be a good hiding place for criminals and police were frequently in Barry looking for "wanted men". Alcohol was the main cause of all the trouble and every Saturday night after the… Read more.
In the later 1880's, mud was a huge problem, particularly during the winter. People reported that the town was dismal and dreary with a wilderness of mud with no houses apart from the Central Police Station. A postman also reported that in 1891 Thompson Street was a muddy lake that the tide flowed into. 1890s The lake was drained and Thompson Street was built. There was a stream that flowed down what is now Tynewydd Road, and there woodland stretched… Read more.
The Barry Dock News was a weekly newspaper that was written in English and circulated within Barry, Penarth and the wider Vale of Glamorgan. The newspaper began its life in 1889 and carried on until The Barry & District News was formed in 1925. The Barry Dock News reported on local and general news. We have looked at many of these issues whilst researching Deja Vu and have loved looking at all of the old adverts, news items and who… Read more.
South Glamorgan - Paranormal Database Records In the photograph of the Castle Hotel, in Jewel Street, Barry, a ghostly female figure appears, to the left, on the staircase. One pub regular believes she was a chambermaid who apparently fell pregnant with a captain’s baby, but he dismissed her. She threw herself out of the top window into the beer garden. Punters claim she makes her presence felt upstairs. Read more.
3rd Century - Roman building present at Cold Knap 1097 - Welsh Chronicles name Barry Island as a raiders base 12th Century - The social structure of Barry begins 13th Century - Barry Castle is built and the village of Cymcidi is noted to have existed. In English Cymcidi means Valley of the Black Dog. 14th Century - The Black Death arrives from visiting ships, and Robert Andrew is the Lord of Cadoxton. Leyland also notes that Barry Castle is… Read more.
In 1926 the S.S. Valsesia came to Barry laden down with Italian coal. There was a strike on at the time to stop mine owners reducing pay and increasing shifts from seven to eight hours. Miners were involved, together with other industries such as bus, rail and dock workers. The S.S. Valsesia was not anchored and drifted onto the rocks. The ship broke into two at Friars Point and wasn't salvaged until 1927. Read more.
The Island was purchased in 1856 by Francis Crawshay. He was an Ironmonger from Merthyr. Francis built the Marine Hotel, which was renamed Friars Point House at a later date. He also made arrangements for visitors to be brought to the Island by boat from the Ship Inn, (It was known as the Storehouse at this time). The Ship InnView from mainland - not joinedMarine Hotel Very Early PostcardPostcard 1890s The island was later purchased by J.P Treharne. J.P Treharne… Read more.
The inspiration for a holiday camp on Barry Island came from a holiday memory, where as a child Billy Butlin had been locked out of his B&B all day. He decided to build his last holiday camp at Nells Point. Planning permission was granted in 1965 and work began in the winter. The camp opened on 18th June 1966. Barry Island Butlins had all the usual Butlins activities including the Redcoats, funfair, Radio Butlin, dining halls, indoor and outdoor swimming… Read more.
Due to the rapid growth of the docks and Barry, the population grew dramatically. In 1881, there were five hundred people recorded as living in Barry, but by 1911 the census reveals that there were thirty three thousand, seven hundred and sixty three people residing in Barry. People from all over Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England came to the town looking for employment. Glamorgan Archives - Barry Urban District Council The Urban District Council was formed in 1894. It replaced… Read more.
Merthyr Dyfan Church is supposedly built on the oldest Christian site in Wales. It is one of the oldest churches in Britain. Merthyr Dyfan Church was built in the early 13th century by the Normans. The ground was consecrated in 1250 by Bishop William de Burgh of Llandaff. Many records show that the Feast of St. Dyfan is celebrated on May 26th. The Barry and Cadoxton Burial Board was set up in 1887, and included the parishes of Cadoxton-juxta-Barry, Merthyr… Read more.
Some of the postcards and souvenirs we have collected: Barry Island Postcard - Post Date 16th June 1919"Enjoying myself a treat at Barry, wish you were here. With love"Dock View Road -post date 1903 - " Sorry I cannot come, pretty stiff view" Barry Docks post date 1911. "I have arrived in this uncanny place once more"Barry plate 2000Porthkerry Park postdate 1903Wrtiting in French on postcardRoundabout Barry - undatedThe Knap - posted in July 1972The Knap - approx 1919 -… Read more.
At the end of the 19th Century, a group of mine owners and businessmen, led by David Davies of Llandidnam, met to discuss the possibility of building docks in Barry to export coal that was coming from their mines in the Rhondda Valleys. John Cory was the financial backer. Despite previous failed attempts to gain approval to build a dock at Barry, the Barry Dock scheme was eventually passed. There was simply too much coal for Cardiff Docks to manage. … Read more.
Cold Knap is the site of the monument that is Glan Y Mor. This is a Roman building situated just behind the car park. Roman Fort Excavation - The Knap - source: https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/1226891 An artists impression of what the Roman fort may have looked like Cold Knap Farm still remains at the Knap and is the oldest domestic building in Barry. It was built in 1570 and extended in the 17th Century. A farmer called Richard Garby once lived in… Read more.