Barry has many pubs, some of which are still here today! The Ship Hotel appears to be the oldest in Barry but as the docks were being built attracting a huge influx of workers and their families, public houses were in great demand. The Ship Hotel The thatched house is the original Ship Hotel and was built for the Romilly family in 1860. It has also been used as a coroners courtroom. This building was demolished and the Ship Hotel… Read more.
Young People Unearthing their Heritage Project
The Development of Barry
In the 1880's, the theatre was the place to be!! The theatre was the chosen option for public entertainment in the 1880s. Barry had several built at different times, including the American Theatre of Variety's. This was followed the Princess Theatre and then the Theatre Royal and the Palace of Varieties in Iddesleigh Street. Theatre 1889 Theatre 1891 Theatre's were not allowed to sell alcohol. This was to prevent theatre's from becoming places where immoral behaviour happened. Iddseleigh Street theatre… Read more.
By 187,1 the population of Barry was roughly one hundred people. There was one village shop, and there was also a local boot maker, Evan Jenkin from Cadoxton. The Village Shop early 1900s. - West End By 1890 the building of shops was concentrated on three main areas. The West End was High Street and Broad Street. In Cadoxton it was Vere Street and Main Street. There were also the central areas of Barry: Holton Road, Thompson Street and Dock… Read more.
The growth of Barry led to an urgent need for emergency services and a Police Force was one of the main needs. The first policeman was based in a small cottage in Main Street, Cadoxton. In 1886 the County Police Station in Holton Road opened. This was extended in 1892 to include a police court attached to the building. https://newspapers.library.wales/view/countypolicestation Plans for the Barry Dock Police Station and Court - Glamorgan Archives Barry Dock Police 1890 - Glamorgan Archives In… Read more.
The Elementary Education Act was passed in 1870, and the first Barry School Board was elected in November 1874. This board was called the Barry United District School Board and the first meeting was held in December in the Wenvoe Arms. The board had five members: D. Davies Joseph was the Chairman, D. Griffiths, W. Lowrie, J. Thomas, and R.S Thomas. Mr Oliver Jenkins was appointed Clerk to the Board. The first priority of the Board was to provide a… Read more.
The Barry and Cadoxton Gas and Water Company 1886, provided the gas for street lighting and houses and there was a plentiful supply of fresh water. In August 1890, gas lamps were in use on many of the roads in Cadoxton and Barry. Gas lamps were used for the first time in Barry Dock in November, the same year. Barry & Cadoxton Local Board Gas & Water Act 1893 - Glamorgan Archives The Barry and Cadoxton Waterworks was formed in… Read more.
With the growth of the town, it soon became apparent that a Medical Officer for Barry was desperately needed. There was one appointed on a part time basis, but he already had his own practice and as the town grew, it was obvious that more was needed. The very first Medical Officer appointed was Dr George Neale in July 1888. Dr George Neale The first hospital in Barry was based in High Street. Dr George Neale was the surgeon. In… Read more.
In the later part of the 1800's, the police were responsible for fire fighting. Shand Mason of London, supplied three sets of fire extinguishing and escape appliances in 1890. They included thirty feet ladders at a cost of £150, and they were to be stored in newly built sheds near the police stations. The fire extinguishing and escape appliances were horse drawn, with water being pumped manually. They required fit and strong men to be able to use them. Early… Read more.
In the later 1880's, mud was a huge problem, particularly during the winter. People reported that the town was dismal and dreary with a wilderness of mud with no houses apart from the Central Police Station. A postman also reported that in 1891 Thompson Street was a muddy lake that the tide flowed into. 1890s The lake was drained and Thompson Street was built. There was a stream that flowed down what is now Tynewydd Road, and there woodland stretched… Read more.