Barry Carnival

27 April 2021 ·

The history of carnivals being held in Barry can be dated back to the 19th Century. The first carnival to take place in Barry was in 1889 to celebrate the opening of Barry Docks. Streets were decorated and the route to the docks was lined with decorative arches. A firework display was held at Brooks Farm which was just off Court Road and Gladstone Road. This cost £190 and was funded by Messrs Paines & Sons

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4594660

Newspaper clipping – Opening of the Docks
Fireworks at Brooks Farm.

There was a similar demonstration to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee in 1898.

The Barry Carnival ran for many years, with varying successes. It was mainly dependant on the weather! In 1950, John Collins from Barry Island Pleasure Park took over, and that year was declared “one of the finest carnivals ever held in Barry”.

Barry Carnival Brochure 1990

Barry Carnivals came to end in 2002 and there have been many attempts to restart them with little success but who knows what might happen in the future!!

In category:Long Gone
Next Post

Dan Evans

In 1905 Mr Evans' grandfather turned the ironmongers shop where he had been an apprentice into a department store on Holton Road. The department store sold lots of different items and was a very popular shop. It has been in…
Read
Previous Post

Barry Zoo

Twin brothers Hugh and George Palmer opened the zoo in 1960. It started off small but rapidly expanded. At one point the zoo housed tigers, elephants, lions, emus, camels, bears, pumas and many more. Advert for Barry ZooAdvert for Barry…
Read
Random Post

Dai Woodham

In 1892, Woodham & Sons was founded by Albert Woodham. The business started as a Dock Porterage business, but by the 1930's the Woodham family had started to trade in scrap metal. In 1957, they started to dismantle railway wagons…
Read
Random Post

Shops

By 187,1 the population of Barry was roughly one hundred people. There was one village shop, and there was also a local boot maker, Evan Jenkin from Cadoxton. The Village Shop early 1900s. - West End By 1890 the building…
Read
Random Post

1884 - The Docks

At the end of the 19th Century, a group of mine owners and businessmen, led by David Davies of Llandidnam, met to discuss the possibility of building docks in Barry to export coal that was coming from their mines in…
Read
Random Post

Prehistoric to Roman Barry

Humans have lived in Barry for many centuries. Mesolithic flint tools have been found at Friar’s Point on Barry Island, and Neolithic polished stone axe heads found at nearby St Andrew’s Major. Urns containing cremation ashes found within Bronze Age…
Read

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Vale People First | Charity Number: 1124013 | Company Number: 6486521
Help us to fund the continued development of this project by visiting our fundraising page